Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Book Spine Poetry

I follow a great blogger on facebook, the Teen Librarian's Toolbox, and I found this fun activity idea for teaching poetry to teens: Book Spine Poetry. So I tried it, and it was fantastic!


I collaborated with an ELA teacher on a 10th grade class that is learning about the various nonfiction resources in our school library. The students had to work in pairs, choosing 5-7 books from our poetry section. They then had to create a poem using the titles on the book spines. The students grumbled a bit at first, but they eventually enthusiastically shared their poems. Check out more of their creations on the FA Library Flickr photostream. You will even find a rap version by two of our students. I had kids in the library for study hall during the same class period that overheard our activity, and commented that it looked like fun. I will definitely be doing this again!

1 comment:

  1. They were great pictures ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete