Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What's in a Name?

I've been meaning to start this blog for some time. I can make excuses that I've been busy, it's been too nice out, we just got a new kitten, or whatever you want. But the truth is, I have procrastinated on starting this blog because I couldn't decide on a name. Choosing a name is essentially choosing a brand for my professional profile, and this is no small thing. I wanted to convey my firm belief that the library is the heart of the school, but without a librarian, the library is just a room with books and computers. I wanted to convey that librarians are 21st Century teachers, technologically-adept, and information savvy. I also wanted to refer to my own professional journey. I'm a new librarian, in my second year of teaching, and I'm still learning every day. I hope that I will ALWAYS be on a journey to learn every day. 
I hope you enjoy and share this blog. It will focus on activities and lessons from my classes in the library at Franklin Academy High School, but will also include references to articles, conferences and other library-related musings. You can probably expect subtle Harry Potter references now and then, too. Perhaps even a Bazinga! or two. Welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rebecca!

    Thanks for doing this and congrats for getting a powerful conversation started. I agree we need to lead the way and with the shift to common core standards we have an amazing opportunity to do just that. We've been ready for years, it's nice to have others come play in our sandbox! Keep up the great work!
    Sue Kowalski

    ReplyDelete
  2. FA is lucky to have such a wonderful educator running our school library....the hub of our school!

    ReplyDelete